Monday, March 19, 2012

Paintings and Pickles!

I recently was involved in the ALOC - Artist's League of Orange County Annual Spring show which was held at the Casselberry Art House --to a packed house the night of the reception. The show is up till April 2, 2012-  Go check all the beautiful unique and affordable art on display. My painting "Storm" is there and it sold the night of the reception! I am deeply grateful for this importunity to get back into the art swing!~  I am so thankful for my patrons who showed up for the feast of the eyes and the palate that night. THANK YOU!
"Storm" also was picked  to be in the top 15% on the FASO BoldBrush Painting Competition Winners (February 2012)



Fast Favorite Garlic Dill Pickles
Often called kosher-style dill pickles, these are quick to make. Use either small whole cucumbers or cut larger ones into quarters. You can through these pickles together in the morning and eat them that night! I made them and let them set overnight in the Refrigerator.
2 Cucumbers sliced lengthwise or in chips.
2 cups of water
1/3 cup of white or apple cider vinegar-- I used the white
I slice of onion
6 whole cloves of garlic peeled
5 stalks of fresh dill
2 Tablespoons of salt--- I would use next time: 1 and 1/2 tablespoons --  I used sea salt
I quart container

In a small saucepan heat up: water, vinegar, salt and 1 clove of the garlic until it boils and the salt is dissolved.
While it is heating up, slice cucumbers and pop the garlic peels off Cut 1/4 inch of onion. In your container (I used a clean old Claussen pickle jar) arrange layers, cucumbers, dill, onion, and garlic. The order doesn't matter.
When the liquid comes to a boil, pour slowly into container. I set the container down in the sink and used a funnel so I didn't have to clean up a mess if I spilled it. Let it fill to the top and over flowing! Let the mixture stand for 2 minutes and then put the lid on. Shake it up well. and refrigerate for 4 hours. These are better the longer you let them sit.
*You can also add 1 tsp of mustard seeds and /or up to one tablespoon of sugar if you like a sweeter pickle and lesson the amount of the garlic

Tips From Epicurus
Garlic may turn blue or green in the jar. Nothing to be alarmed about, it is only the effect of the acid on the natural pigments in the garlic.
Extra! Tips from Epicurious:
• Pickling salt is free of the additives found in table salt, which can discolor homemade pickles. The popular brand Mrs. Wages is available online at www.canningpantry.com/pickling-salt.html. If you use regular table salt, the pickles will taste fine, but they may turn dark, with cloudy liquid. Do not substitute kosher salt, as the difference in texture can result in incorrect measurements.
• "The proportion of water to vinegar necessary to inhibit the growth of organisms produces a very sour pickle," says Topp. "While you can't change this proportion, you can safely add up to one tablespoon of sugar if you want to slightly sweeten the pickles."



"A good painting to me has always been like a friend. It keeps me company, comforts and inspires."
Hedy Lamarr

1 comment:

Robin said...

Cobgrats on your painting "storm" being included..that is so awesome..! Thanks for joining in Im following you now too..!