Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Artist Residence Day 2

Can you guess what my series is going to be about? I have dearly loved water gardens ever since I was 8 years old, when my family moved to Hawaii, for my father's new job at the University of Hawaii. There is a Japanese water garden there on campus in Honolulu, that we visited every Friday afternoon to meet my father for dinner in the college cafeteria. Here is a video that I found  of the place-- such memories feeding the Japanese Carp Koi fish :) 
When I was a little girl we hand fed these fish and there was at the time water lilies there. I apologize the colors are a bit odd in the beginning of the video. Here is a short clip that is not in stereoscopic :)

Of course the artist Monet is probably the most famous for painting waterlily gardens and part of my research for these paintings has included looking up and studying what magic he painted!
Video of Monet Water Lilies at MoMA
Monet Information at the Web Museum
When I owned a house with a pool I had big daydreams of converting it into a giant waterlily garden yet somehow still being able to swim in it LOL!
 I invite you to sign up over there on the right side of my blog if you want to keep up with this series. Maybe you know something about making  and maintaining these wonderful gardens... I understand they are a lot of work!

No comments: